The three L’s here… Luscious Limoncello Liqueur describe a truly memorable drink. Once you make your own homemade delight, you will never purchase it again… unless , of course, you are in Italy. Simple to make and pure heaven to enjoy!
Limoncello… Love at first sip! Our trip to Florence solidified our passion for this smooth crisp drink forever. Limoncello is semi sweet and the color of liquid sunshine. So it is no surprise that this is the most famous of all Italian liqueurs. Only three ingredients are in this refreshing drink; lemons, sugar and alcohol. Now here is the reason to make this superb aperitif at home. Although commercial brands are readily available, you want that fresh taste that is not overly sweet. You will discover how to sweeten your own homemade liqueur to your personal taste of perfection.
To make Limoncello, infuse grated lemon peel into your vodka or grain alcohol. If you have the option, 100 proof vodka or pure grain alcohol works best but I have made some superb batches with 80 proof vodka as well. Let the peels and vodka sit for 2 weeks, strain and then sweeten to taste. Serve Limoncello chilled, sit back and enjoy!
Luscious Limoncello Liqueur
- 1.5-1.75 pure grain alcohol if not available use good vodka
- 18 lemons zested
- 3 cups white sugar can use 1 more cup if you prefer sweeter and thicker liqueur
- 5 cups water
- Zest the lemons without using the white pulp under the yellow skin.
- Add zest to grain alcohol or vodka in large jar.
- Cover and infuse in dark location at room temperature for 2 weeks (longer may create a bitter tasting drink)
- Filter the mixture with cheese cloth. Repeat filter if any zest remains in liquid.
- Mix sugar and water in pot to boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Let syrup cool and add to lemon flavored alcohol.
- Bottle the liqueur and put in dark location to age for an additional 3-4 weeks at room temperature.
- Serve cold either from freezer or refrigerator.